torstai 15. lokakuuta 2015



Weekend trip to Bulawayo and Chipangali

My third weekend here in Zimbabwe I spent out from Harare. We left on Friday morning for our journey with Levita, Nyaradzai, Oili and Seppo. First we drove to Gweru to meet the University students from Dzivaresekwa. We had a bit time to walk around the city and then having ice cream with the students. The city wasn’t big one and there was nothing special to see. But nice anyway to see a new place. Finally arrived to Bulawayo in the afternoon. After a short city tour by car we went to Chipangali. 




Chipangali is a wildlife orphange close to Bulawayo. There are many different animals like lions (18 of them), crocodiles, chakals, different monkeys, cheetahs, leopards, many birds and so on. It’s a private  sanctuary for orphaned abandoned, confiscated or injured wild animals. The place was very nice and the people were doing so good job with the animals. If you ever think to go to an animal place as a volunteer I can recommend this one. Also this time there were 8 volunteers around the world. The owners aren’t doing anything bad for the animals like in some other places. 



 First evening we were just watching the animals and having dinner there. Both nights we stayed in a small idyllic cabin. The next day we had a chance to go to scratch the lions. They were other side of the fence but we could touch them easily. They enjoyed scratching as much as cats as well! That was amazing! But I definitely wouldn’t like to meet lion in the nature, they were big and scary too.. In the afternoon we went to the national history museum. I normally don’t like museums too much but it was very interesting to get to know more about the history of Zimbabwe. Was worth of visit! In the afternoon we had relaxing time with the animals still and I went to see the feeding time of lions and sheep. In the evening I had a chance to go to very fancy dinner to one birthday party of one club. I was the only young one there, most of the others were at least 30 years older than me. But I have noticed duing my trip that it’s always nice to hear stories from people who are older than me. They have seen so much more than me! 






On Sunday we were just driving all day through Zimbabwe. We had only a short visit to one high school where some of our children are studying. It was nice but definitely not the same than the high school where I went. The girls’ toilet was just holes on the floor without even any doors! The students also told that the food that they get in the school is quite simple. They don’t get very much nutrition from that and they get only one fruit per week. On the weekend we drove 1100km so was quite a long journey. But I really enjoyed because I saw so many different kind of nature during the way. Some part of the country was soo dry that even the rivers were completely dry. Huh, water is really needed in that area! Some areas were a bit more green and had hills. Bu teven those areas looked quite dry before the rainy season. I also saw typical small countryside houses close the road. The buildings were round and the roof was made out of hay (or something similar). They looked like the houses I always think when I imagine a typical african village.





Carnivals

10.10. on Saturday was a big Zimbabwean international carnivals. I went there with Sarah who came few days earlier to Zimbabwe as a volunteer. I read somewhere that the carnival is Africa’s biggest street carnival. Our children were performing there as well. We had both the small kids and young adults there. As I have told before their dancing and singing is soo good! And was definitely this time as well. The carnival was at the same time a competition. There were many different groups  even from Brazil, India and around southern Africa who wanted to win the carnival.  And our young one’s won their league and the other group was second. So they were very very good!! Me and Sarah stayed with the older ones many hours in the starting point waiting to start the parade. I can tell that it was a hot day to stand there hours! Thanks to our cultural group’s leader we had the photographer pass so we could then follow parade next to hour group all the way. Other wise it would have been impossible to walk in the grouded streets. I had such an nice day there! 











In the evening I still went with the Finns to one picnic concert. Because it’s so warm and no rain yet it’s very easy to organise outdoor picnics and concerts here. Something I would like to have more in Finland! 

I’m by the way now very happy that I got company to explore Harare and Zimbabwe. With locals you normally can’t do so much because they don’t have any money to go anywhere. During the weekdays I’m now doing always interiews or being in some meetings. Time is going way too fast and I feel that I wanna see more and more this country and get to know the people. Can somebody stop the time??

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti